By PAUL LASTER, JUL. 2015
Artists, curators, collectors, and dealers gathered at the Glass House for the annual summer party, which raised $400,000 to support the Glass House programs and preservation projects.
Built between 1949 and 1995 by architect Philip Johnson, the Glass House is a National Trust Historic Site located in New Canaan, CT. The 49-acre landscape comprises 14 structures, including the Glass House, and features a permanent collection of 20th century painting and sculpture, along with temporary exhibitions.
The 88-year-old artist and graphic designer Elaine Lustig Cohen, who had worked with Johnson on design projects, has a solo exhibition of geometric abstractions from the 1960s and ‘70s in the Painting Gallery. The exhibition “Highlights from the Sculpture Gallery,” from one of the structures that is currently being renovated, is on view in Da Monsta, the last pavilion that Johnson added to the property in 1995. And a sculpture by Kevin Beasley is currently displayed on a Mies van der Rohe table in the Glass House, where a missing Alberto Giacometti piece had long been on view.
Visitors had the run of the estate while enjoying a delicious picnic lunch prepared by Campagna at the Bedford Post Inn, endless glasses of Taittinger champagne, and the ambient sounds of Lucky Dragons. WM
Paul Laster is a writer, editor, independent curator, artist and lecturer. He is a New York desk editor at ArtAsiaPacific and a contributing editor at Whitehot and artBahrain. He was the founding editor of Artkrush.com and Artspace.com and art editor of Flavorpill.com and Russell Simmons's OneWorld Magazine; started TheDailyBeast.com's art section; and worked as a photojournalist for Artnet.com and Art in America. He is a frequent contributor to Time Out New York, New York Observer, Modern Painters, ArtPulse and ArtInfo.com.view all articles from this author