The Summer Party at The Glass House
by Paul Laster
Artists, curators, collectors, and dealers gathered at the Glass House for the annual summer party, which raised funds to support the Glass House programs and preservation projects.
Built between 1949 and 1995 by architect Philip Johnson, the Glass House is a National Trust Historic Site located in New Canaan, CT. The 49-acre landscape comprises 14 structures, including the Glass House, and features a permanent collection of 20th century painting and sculpture, along with temporary exhibitions.
E.V. Day had a site-specific exhibition referencing spiders and webs in Da Monsta, the last pavilion that Johnson added to the property in 1995, and Tauba Auerbach had an undulating sand sculpture displayed on a Mies van der Rohe table in the Glass House, where a missing Alberto Giacometti piece had long been on view.
Visitors had the full run of the estate—which includes works by Frank Stella, Julian Schnabel, Donald Judd, Robert Rauschenberg, Cindy Sherman, David Salle, and others—while enjoying a picnic lunch prepared by Chef Brian Lewis from Elm and the trippy sounds of musician Eliza Rickman.
Paul Laster is a writer, editor, independent curator, artist and lecturer. He is a New York desk editor at ArtAsiaPacific and a contributing editor at Whitehot and artBahrain. He was the founding editor of Artkrush.com and Artspace.com and art editor of Flavorpill.com and Russell Simmons's OneWorld Magazine; started TheDailyBeast.com's art section; and worked as a photojournalist for Artnet.com and Art in America. He is a frequent contributor to Time Out New York, New York Observer, Modern Painters, ArtPulse and ArtInfo.com.view all articles from this author